I’m back! And I have more random thoughts and questions to share! Dare you tread upon the insane (and reference-ridden) mindscape that I call my own?
Well, this is what happened to the last person who did. 😉 What is it with the Halloween’d theme all of a sudden? Behave brain!
- How is it that when I was actively looking for clips of the Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh!, the whole of YouTube was void of them and now they’re suddenly, like, second video on the list?
- Why do people feel a compulsive need to ship? I mean, I do it too. Doesn’t mean I get it.
- Why do shoes hurt your feet? Weren’t they invented to protect your feet from hurt? (and cold…and sharp twigs…)
- Why are razor replacements so expensive if the fashionable norm is to be clean-shaven?
- For the matter, how come guys don’t get the nifty razor heads that have shaving jell already attached to them?
- Can a full moon make you crazy (or turn you into a werewolf) if it’s too cloudy to see it?
- Why would a temperature-controlled swimming pool be too cold to be comfortable?
- Why would anyone leave a frying pan for over a week without washing the damn thing? It’s already soaked enough! (-glares at unnamed flatmate)
- Why do clouds sometimes look two-dimensional and sometimes 3-D?
- Why do the shops all start huge sales the day after I resolve not to spend too much from now on?
- Why do necromancy jokes keep popping up on my Facebook feed when I’m not even that interested on the subject?
- Why doesn’t anyone ever point out that according to the new movies James Kirk’s dad is frigging Thor? (DON’T TELL ME IT’S DIFFERENT UNIVERSES!)
- Why can’t I psychically materialise chocolate whenever I fancy it? I really, really, really want some right now!
…aaaaand I just spent 20 minutes actually trying to answer my own rhetorical questions. I think this is as good a time as any to sign out!
How have I spent 22 years on this planet not knowing this is a thing? Seriously! I think I’ll brave the (generally incomprehensible) editing platform…
-five minutes later-
Greeeeat…. It seems that in all of Athens only ONE Ben & Jerry’s is participating. I’m going to hold out hope that maybe that’s just a case of the site not being updated timely but if it’s true! Well then. To the rest of the shops, you suck! Come on, I know there’s more shops, I’ve walked out of some repeatedly. Would it seriously dent your quarterly reports to participate? But I’m running ahead of myself. I’ll leave this off here and pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully with fingers sticky from deliciously free ice-cream.
Nope, no free ice cream found. And I walked a big part of the city centre today, trust me. Was pretty fun, especially the herbs and spices shop (some of them are plucked straight out of Diagon Alley, let me tell you!) But it was pretty crowded, everywhere, and, well, there’s a reason I don’t do social interactions at a large scale. Came home, buried myself under my duvet and oh sweet silence welcome at last! Not for more than an hour unfortunately, since I hadn’t eaten since breakfast (coffee doesn’t count!) and it was past five in the afternoon at that point. Now, if you know me, you know that being hungry and having my stomach turn at the thought of food either means that I’m sick (and that was yesterday and the day before, so no way) or I’m retreating to hibernating fox mode. What’s that you ask? No, it’s not a proper term (though it should be, foxes are cuddly!). Basically it’s what I call those days when anything more involved than watching fan videos and each chocolate buttons (with the occasional nap and/or cry session because all the tension needs to get out at some point) is just too much.
Unfortunately, the Universe is not giving me this one. Job applications to fill out. Yeah, no. If I can’t convince myself to make a chicken sandwich when I’m hungry and the chicken is right there, I don’t think writing covering letters will go well. Especially since, you know. You’re supposed to be sickeningly enthusiastic. Or something. Ugh. I need a cat to cuddle. And one of those 2lt bowls of profiterole. The Baileys-laced variety.
I hope your week is panning out better. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go stare at the ceiling.
In honour of the upcoming Never-you-mind-my-relationship-status Day, here are my personal top eleven reasons on why Valentine’s Day is better for the singles.
- You get to have the house all to yourself. While your flatmates are out with their significant others you get to have a three hour long bubble bath with no one trying to break the door.
- You save money: no one to expect extravagant gifts means your budget might just get you through the month.
- No pre-date nerves of the “Ohmygoshwhattowearvariety”.
- Ladies: if you want to be lazy and NOT shave your legs, no one will know.
- No struggle to fit yet-another plushy to your already alarmingly large collection.
- If you want to have a junk food night in, washed down with a tub of Ben and Jerries, there’s bound to be someone on your friends list to join you.
- No embarrassingly sappy posts on Facebook/Twitter that you know you will regret in a few weeks’ time.
- You don’t have to sit through a movie you hate and pretend to like it for your date’s sake.
- Better yet! You don’t have to share your popcorn!
- You don’t lose sight of what’s important: specifically the upcoming Pancake Day.
- Massive chocolate clearance on every supermarket on the 15ht.
P.S. Kudos to the Nostalgia Critic for the Top 11 gimmick.
Another one of those “Christmas classics” that I have never tried. Clearly I had no childhood…The only things I know about it is that it is a dessert, it is bloody hard to make and that it almost as British as shepherd’s pie. And I’m not even sure about that last one. It’s incredible how you kind of assume some things: “We wish you a merry Christmas” has the word “pudding” on it, ergo puddings are Christmas-y things. Are they? I’m not looking it up, I’m still recovering from this semester’s research projects (cue the PTSD flashback).
-one shop trip later-
It’s a fruitcake? Seriously? There’s already a Christmas fruitcake with its one score of jokes and punch-lines? Why do we need another? Oh Western civilisation and your multiple contradictory customs… Why do you torment me so?
Strawberry-flavoured candy canes evenly hanging from the tree;
Cinammon, nutmeg and chocolate scents dancing in the air;
Laughter from the kitchen as we rolled coconut truffles;
Cookies passing on a tray, raisings and almonds and nuts;
Eggnog and wine –only for grownups- steaming in the mugs.
Christmas is summed in the smells of cooking,
In flour-white handprints on the table,
In piles of pots and plastic bonbon ribbons.
Divine is the smell of melting caramel as we sing carols.
A chocolate calendar perched on the wall-
A tiny tree against the wall-
A breeze of nutmeg from the kitchen-
A countdown counter on the phone.
A’ would be more enthusiastic…
A student, though, is always stressed.
A bundle of papers still to finish,
But after that, it’s time to rest.
- Thou shalt not keep overdue book loans.
- Thou shalt share thy chocolate and thy alcohol with thy fellow students.
- Thou shalt not hog a computer desk if thou hast a laptop.
- Thou shalt not flaunt thy essay-free status on Facebook.
- Thou shalt refrain from bribing thy tutor with food.
- Thou shalt not hold house parties while thy flatmate is studying.
- Respect the third-years for they have trodden the wilderness thou hast yet to cross.
- Thou shalt type an honest word count.
- Thou shalt not bemoan thy fate. Everyone is facing the same plight.
- Thou shalt reference thy quotes.
- Thou shalt honour the university coffee-shops for their fare is thy sustenance.
- Thou shalt limit thy procrastination for thy actually need a good grade.
In the name of the HUB, and the MLA, and the Holly Rubric, amen.